Our Mission and Goals
Basketball coaches from all top levels agree that young players nowadays lack solid fundamentals, their game is not cerebral enough, and most importantly they miss the communication skills which happen to be the number one quality of true leaders on and off the court.
Whether playing for a SLAM CAMP Basketball Team or attending a SLAM CAMP Basketball Camp session, dedicated players of all positions will be taught how to play smart basketball, to think like coaches on the floor, and to become leaders in games, practices and everyday life.
SLAM CAMP’s General Goals:
HAVE FUN: Basketball is a great game. If you attend our camp, we want you to enjoy being around basketball and create positive memories than can last a lifetime.
BE SAFE: Creating a safe environment whether in the gym, in the weight room or outdoor on the field, remains among our top priorities. Proper supervision of campers will be maintained at all times.
TEACH FUNDEMENTALS: Starting with shooting, dribbling, passing, footwork, rebouOur Mission and Goalsnding, defense and then carrying over into the various offensive layouts and matchups, our coaches’ guidance and instructions will surely help you improve.
Why is the SLAM’s Basketball Camp different from the traditional basketball camps?
Educational Approach - We believe that good coaches are educators beforehand. Through the use of videos, handouts, overheads and daily quizzes, each player will learn the mental and physical aspects of the different positions on the floor.
Fun and Challenging Drills - Champlain College’s double gym will be used to teach and practice a variety of drills in the half court and full court setting. Daily activity will include numerous passing and transition drills to enhance player action and reaction to particular situations.
Situation Analysis - Players will be taught the essentials for attacking a variety of defenses, full and half court, late game strategies, the keys of fast-break offense, the transition game and much more. All that can help enhance campers’ performance in preparation of their next season.
Leadership and Motivation Analysis - On court assignments will include discussions and presentations on the strategies of motivation and qualities of leadership.
An Active and Experienced Staff - All of the staff members are currently coaching and instructing at either public or private educational institutions and /or playing the game.
Daily Competitive Contests - One on One play, Shooting, Speed Dribble & Handles, All-around challenges...
Safety first - A Certified Trainer will be present at all times to provide immediate evaluation and treatment of any sports injuries related to SLAM’s Basketball Camp.
What every player will get at SLAM CAMP’s Basketball Camp? Complete Basketball Development!
Productive court time workouts: All gym sessions are intense and purposeful. Drills are creative and challenging and games are always competitive.
Complete players are team leaders beforehand: Communication skills will be emphasized throughout the camp, helping the players become positive and more effective leaders both on and off the court.
"Listening with your eyes and ears": Players will learn to focus by listening attentively during the instructions. They will also be encouraged to participate in the discussions by asking questions and giving answers. All processed information will then be displayed through effective play on the floor.
Positive Learning Environment: Highly motivated group of coaches + healthy teaching methods = abundance of positive learning opportunities. In such positive environment, players can only grow, develop and improve as student-athletes, leaders and citizens.
More specifically, what will you learn during the Co-Ed camp sessions?
- Owning your space, being strong with the ball
- Developing better body control, footwork and balance
- Developing hand-eye coordination and quickness
- Understanding timing and spacing on the floor
- Finishing strong at the rim
- Speaking to your teammates with confidence and poise
- Developing the will to attack the open space
- Dealing with mistakes with composure
And how about if you are playing for the Girls’ SLAM CAMP Summer Teams?
Apart from the traditional learning and improvement through repetition of classic drills and movements, we will emphasize on the importance of:
- Practicing efficiently and hard for maximum improvement
- Increasing quickness, strength and confidence throughout the various challenging drills (ball-handling, rebounding, passing, SAQ, Defense)
- Proper selection and mechanics of shooting. Getting your shot off against all types of defenders
- Playing smart defense. Forcing turnovers without fouling, taking a charge: being a disruptive force on the defensive end of the floor
- Preventing costly turnovers by making better decisions on offense and handling pressure with poise
- Controlling the tempo, when to go fast and when to slow down
- Leading your team in practices and games. Making the players around you better.
- Mastering the intangibles. How to put your coach at ease when the ball is in your hands